Snæfellsjökull Glacier Snow-cat Tour
Popular guided tour
Our Snæfellsjökull Glacier Snow-cat Tour is a spectacular sightseeing excursion that will bring you close to one of Iceland’s most spectacular and mystical glaciers, Snæfellsjökull.
We start our Snæfellsjökull Glacier Snow-cat Tour from Arnarstapi, a fishing village located close to Snæfellsjökull.
Here we will hop on our vehicle and make our way to the foot of the glacier. Alternatively, you can follow our bus in your own car, if it is suitable for F-roads, as we drive a mountain pass along the side of the glacier. This gravel and bumpy F road offers spectacular views of the glacier and the surrounding area and it is a great part of this adventure.
Once at the foot of Snæfellsjökull glacier, it is time for the real fun to begin. We get on board the snow-cat to start our ascent to the top of the glacier, or as close to it as possible.
Snæfellsjökull is a glacier-topped volcano rising 1446 meters above sea level. In his popular novel Journey to the Center of the Earth, Jules Verne set a passage leading to the center of the Earth right from this volcano, so we can try and look for it together. It is even believed that Snæfellsjökull is one of the Earth’s seven sources of spiritual energy.
Whether this is true or not, it is not up to us to say but Snæfellsjökull certainly is a special glacier and, with this excursion, you have the chance to explore it and get to know it better.
It is also the highest point on the Snæfellsnes Peninsula and, in good weather, the views over the peninsula from Snæfellsjökull are just breathtaking.
On the top we will enjoy some time on the glacier and take some nice pictures to enjoy while you take in all the beauty of Snæfelsjökull.
The tour ends back in Arnarstapi.
What you need to bring
- Warm clothes
- Hat and gloves
- Good outdoor shoes are recommended
Know before you go
- When booking, you can select either the regular tour “with bus ride” or the “self-drive” tour if you have a vehicle suitable for F-roads and prefer following our bus in your car. No matter what tour you choose, the starting point for this tour is Arnarstapi.
- Our Snæfellsjökull Glacier Snow-cat Tour is a sightseeing tour on a snow-cat. You will have some time to walk around on the glacier but this is not a glacier hike.
- The views from Snæfellsjökull depend on the weather conditions.
- Reaching the top of the glacier depends on the ice conditions on the glaciers and the absence/presence of crevasses. Keep in mind that safety always comes first.
Do not hesitate to contact us firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about this tour, and we will be happy to help!.
Follow us on Facebook and enjoy pictures from this fun snowcat tour.